Future Generations Bill Seminar
Preparing for the Future Generations Bill: the challenges and opportunities of sustainable development.
This was the first in a series of free Shared Learning Seminars. These seminars are run by the Wales Audit Office in collaboration with Wales' Commissioner for Sustainable Futures. This Seminar helped the Welsh public sector prepare for the Future Generations Bill. This Bill will place a new duty on the devolved public services in Wales to make sustainable development their central organising principle.
Benefits of attending
The seminar was structured both to engage the leadership of the public sector in Wales and provide practitioners with an opportunity to develop their practice. Participants left this seminar with:
- a fuller understanding of the implications of the proposed Future Generations Bill for their organisations; and
- how integrated reporting principles could help public bodies respond to the new duty and streamline their reporting, including the role of finance professionals.
The Welsh Government Minister for Communities and Tackling Poverty recently announced that a National Conversation will take place on the challenges faced by communities across Wales. This seminar informed that National Conversation.
The Seminar included:
Presentation by Peter Davies [PDF 2MB Opens in new window]
The Commissioner for Sustainable Futures
Presentation by the International Integrated Reporting Council and The Crown Estate [PDF 2MB Opens in new window]
An award-winning organisation that has used integrated reporting
Presentation by the City and County Of Swansea [PDF 785KB Opens in new window]
On their approach to reporting for sustainable development.
You can see examples of their reports on the Swansea Council website [Opens in new window]
See also: Swansea Sustainable Development Reporting Briefing Note [PDF 111KB Opens in new window]
It also included:
- Workshop by the International Integrated Reporting Council and The Crown Estate [PDF 817KB Opens in new window]
- Workshop by Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy [PDF 221KB Opens in new window]
- Working by The Wales Audit Office and the Commissioner for Sustainable Futures [PDF 359KB Opens in new window]
Where and When
Wednesday 5 February 2014
First session: 0800 – 1000
Second session: 1000 – 1300
Wales Audit Office, 24 Cathedral Road, Cardiff, CF11 9LJ
Thursday 13 February 2014
0930 – 1300
Glasdir, Plas-yn-Dre, Llanrwst, LL26 0DF